The World Cup squad dilemmas facing Tuchel
Image source, Getty ImagesThomas Tuchel has some big calls to make before his World Cup squad announcement
- Published1 hour ago
Thomas Tuchel has already started contacting the England hopefuls who have not made the cut.
It's the call any player dreads - because even in today's club-centric landscape, representing your country at a World Cup remains the pinnacle.
Tuchel's squad will be made public on Friday. For the fortunate 26, opportunity beckons – England head to this tournament as one of the fancied few to lift the trophy in New Jersey on 19 July.
But for those the England head coach rings with bad news, there will only be a summer with thoughts of what might have been.
BBC Sport looks at the key decisions Tuchel has faced in picking his final squad - and who has had most reason to be nervous during the selection process.
World Cup 2026: Every nation's squad as they are announced
- Published2 hours ago
Pick your favourite World Cup kits
- Published22 April
Will 'leader' John Stones make it?
Some of Tuchel's biggest dilemmas have been in defence, where there have been injury and fitness issues.
Centre-back John Stones, in normal circumstances, would have been one of the first names on the England manager's list.
When he accepted the job, Tuchel identified captain Harry Kane, Declan Rice and Stones as the key members of his leadership group.
The German, during the opening months of his reign, would stay in regular contact with the trio via text message - assuring them of how important they were to his plans.
A fully fit Stones is a nailed-on starter for England this summer. But the 31-year-old has made just four Premier League starts this season.
Central defenders Marc Guehi and Ezri Konsa look certain to make the plane to North America, while Harry Maguire's international recall in March will increase the Manchester United man's hopes of a place.
Beyond that; Jarell Quansah's versatility could count in his favour, while Trevoh Chalobah and Fikayo Tomori were both included in the squad for March's friendlies against Uruguay and Japan – but face an uphill struggle to make the final 26.
Levi Colwill, who has only recently returned from a long-term cruciate knee ligament injury, was included in Tuchel's extended 55-man party for the tournament but is unlikely to make the full squad.
At right-back, all eyes – as ever – will be on whether Trent Alexander-Arnold makes the cut. On the face of it, the Real Madrid man should fear the worst.
He wasn't included in the squad for March's internationals despite Tuchel selecting more than 30 players in total.
Last year, Tuchel said Quansah – a central defender – was ahead of him in the pecking order, so it doesn't necessarily look good.
That said, Tuchel has issues at right-back. Reece James, who is expected to start the tournament as first choice in the position, has endured an injury disrupted campaign.
Tino Livramento would also usually be selected. But the Newcastle full-back hasn't played since mid-April because of a thigh injury.
The doubt over Livramento's fitness, coupled with the expected exclusion of Arsenal's Ben White – who is recovering from a serious knee injury – could yet open the door for Alexander-Arnold.
And with England anticipating the majority of the ball in their Group L matches against Croatia, Ghana and Panama, Alexander-Arnold's strengths in possession may suit Tuchel's side during the early stages of the tournament.
Tottenham's Djed Spence could also be an option, having played four times under Tuchel.
Luke Shaw's run into form has given Tuchel with a welcome headache as he finalises his squad. Nico O'Reilly's outstanding form for Manchester City means he will almost certainly be selected, with Newcastle duo Dan Burn and Lewis Hall also hoping to get the nod.
What information do we collect from this quiz?A guide to the World Cup's 16 stadiums
Giroud, Azpilicueta and McCarthy join BBC World Cup team
- Published2 days ago
Who will win the race to be back up to Kane?
Harry Kane will head to the tournament as England captain and first-choice striker.
The race to go to the World Cup as the Bayern Munich striker's back-up, though, is intense and it is understood the German coach has considered taking three strikers.
Having missed out on the previous squad, Ollie Watkins has forced himself back into contention with a run of 11 goals in 14 games for Aston Villa.
Ivan Toney, who has spent almost a year in the international wilderness and now plays his club football in Saudi Arabia, has also not given up hope of making the squad. Could his prowess at penalties work in his favour?
There is a clamour for Danny Welbeck, who has scored 14 goals in an impressive season for Brighton, to be included.
The 35-year-old last played for England in September 2018 – but was on Tuchel's 55-man long list.
Dominic Solanke and Dominic Calvert-Lewin made the England squad for the March friendlies, but the Tottenham forward is a doubt because of a muscle injury.
Calvert-Lewin is another option as he continues to score regularly for Leeds - taking his season's total to 15 goals with the winner in last Saturday's 1-0 victory over Brighton.
The battle for number 10
Tuchel's reign has been dominated by debate over who will be his number 10.
He shocked many last October by leaving out Real Madrid midfielder Jude Bellingham, just recovered from injury, to keep a settled squad.
That allowed Aston Villa forward Morgan Rogers, who started five of England's eight World Cup qualifying games, to continue as number 10.
Tuchel has looked to build a club feel around this England team and has repeatedly said that the collective is more important than an individual.
Of the other creative options, Cole Palmer and Phil Foden will be anxious as they wait to discover if they are called up.
Chelsea midfielder Palmer has started just twice under Tuchel, having missed the majority of the World Cup qualifying campaign because of injury.
Foden was the only England player to start both of March's friendlies but did not impress.
Tuchel admitted after the the last international break that the midfielder, who has not been a regular starter recently for Manchester City, is not guaranteed a spot on the plane.
What information do we collect from this quiz?Related topics
Схожі новини
Southampton fails in bid to overturn expulsion from world’s richest match
Ярмоленко обійшов Шевченка за кількістю голів у Кубку України
У четвер стартує заключний тур футбольної Прем'єр-ліги України