Tearful Kostyuk speaks of Ukraine missile attack after 'most difficult' French Open win
An emotional Marta Kostyuk fought back tears after her first-round win at the French Open on Sunday as she told the Roland Garros crowd about waking up to news that a Russian missile had struck near her parents' home in Ukraine.
Issued on: 24/05/2026 - 18:43
3 min Reading time Share By: FRANCE 24
Marta Kostyuk’s first-round win at the French Open became one of her toughest matches after she found out beforehand that a missile almost hit her parents' home in Ukraine.
Kostyuk, who has not shaken hands with Russian players since the 2022 invasion, fought back tears after beating Oksana Selekhmeteva 6-2, 6-3 on Court Simonne-Mathieu on the opening day of the clay-court Grand Slam at Roland Garros.
Read moreNo Alcaraz, no party? Five reasons not to miss this year’s French Open
“I think it was one of the most difficult matches of my career," the 15th-seeded Kostyuk said. “This morning, 100 meters away from my parents’ house, the missile destroyed the building and it was a very difficult morning for me ... I didn’t know how I would handle it, I’ve been crying part of the morning.”
She received a message at 8am and could not stop thinking what could have happened.
“I felt sick,” she said. “If it was 100 meters closer, I probably wouldn’t have a mom and a sister today.”
Her mother, sister and great aunt were in the house at the time of the strike, she said, among 17 people in total, so her relief was enormous that no one was injured.
“I don’t want to think what I would do if something worse happened, but I knew that this is the day to go out and play,” she said. “It didn’t cross my mind today that I shouldn’t go out, because, you know, at the end of the day, everyone is alive.”
After the match, she thanked fans and received an ovation. Then she explained how she found the emotional and mental resources to play.
“I think it’s important to keep going. My biggest example is Ukrainian people, I woke up in the morning today and,” the 23-year-old Kostyuk said, becoming tearful before repeating and finishing the sentence.
“I looked at all these people who woke up and kept living their life, kept helping people who are in need,” she said. "I knew a lot of Ukrainian flags would be here today and a lot of Ukrainian people would come out, support. My friends from Ukraine came as well.”
When Kostyuk first served for the match at 5-1 she got broken. But she served it out on her next opportunity and waved to fans holding up a Ukraine flag in the upper deck.
One of several spectators wrapped in the blue-and-yellow colours of Ukraine, 35-year-old Viktoria cheered from the stands: “When the girls play and win matches here at Roland-Garros, it’s a gift to our families and our people back home.”
Kostyuk next plays unseeded American Katie Volynets and Kostyuk's countrywoman Elina Svitolina – a recent winner at the Italian Open in Rome – faces Anna Bondar on Monday.
Svitolina is among the contenders for the French Open title after triumphing last week at the Italian Open, where she outlasted defending Roland Garros champion Coco Gauff in the final.
The seventh seed, who took a maternity break in 2022, has had to work her way back from a ranking that year of No. 236. Her return to the highest level has been a source of inspiration for many female players – and for her war-torn home nation too.
Read more‘Last French player standing’: Roland Garros crowd adopts Ukraine’s Svitolina
She and Kostyu leads a group of seven Ukrainians in the top 100 of the women’s rankings.
“Taking in consideration the war and everything, what’s happening in our country, I think it’s great inspiration for (the) younger generation,” Svitolina said on the eve of the tournament. “It shows that it is possible. Especially for girls back in Ukraine, it’s a great example.”
(FRANCE 24 with AP)
Advertising Keywords for this articleСхожі новини
No Bakrid sacrifice at public places, no road blockade for namaz: Yogi Adityanath
Novak Djokovic survives early scare, dances his way into second round
New West Asia order? Trump asks Gulf nations to join Abraham Accords post Iran deal