Taiwan says it has received no notification from US of any pause to planned €12bn arms sale
Like other countries that maintain formal diplomatic ties with Beijing, the US doesn't recognise Taiwan as a country, but Washington remains the island’s strongest backer and arms supplier.
Taiwan hasn't been notified of any pause in a planned $14 billion (€12 billion) arms sale to the self-governing island from the United States, a government official said on Friday, after the acting US Navy secretary told a Senate committee in Washington that some foreign military sales were being delayed to ensure the American military has enough munitions for the Iran war.
Days after US President Donald Trump raised doubts about continuing arms sales to Taiwan, which China claims as its own territory, acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said on Thursday that the sales would resume when the administration considers it appropriate.
“Right now we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for ‘Epic Fury,’” Cao told the US Senate Appropriations Defence Subcommittee, referring to the Trump administration's name for the Iran operation.
“Then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary.”
Taiwan's authorities have seen the reports, “but currently there is no information regarding any adjustments the US will make to this arms sale,” Taiwanese presidential spokesperson Karen Kuo said when asked about Cao’s comments on Friday.
China sees Taiwan as a breakaway province to be brought under its control by force if necessary. Like other countries that maintain formal diplomatic ties with Beijing, the US doesn't recognise Taiwan as a country, but Washington remains the island’s strongest backer and arms supplier.
Trump’s Republican administration authorised an $11 billion (€9 billion) weapons package for Taipei in December, but it has yet to move forward.
American lawmakers also approved a separate $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan in January, though the deal can't proceed until Trump formally submits it to Congress.
In an interview with Fox News on his way back to the United States from last week’s trip to Beijing, Trump said that arms sales to Taiwan are “a very good negotiating chip” in Washington’s dealings with China.
On Wednesday, marking his two years in office, Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te said that if given the chance, he would tell Trump to continue US arms purchases, which Lai called essential for peace.
China warns US
When asked about Cao's comments, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said that “China’s opposition to the US arms sale to China’s Taiwan region is consistent, clear-cut and resolute.”
Last week, during Trump's visit to Beijing, Chinese President Xi Jinping issued a strong warning, telling him that the “Taiwan question” is the most important issue in US-China relations and that the two nations could “have clashes and even conflicts,” if the issues isn't handled properly.
RelatedTrump later told reporters that he needed to talk to the person who is running Taiwan, without naming Lai, who Beijing deems a separatist.
Trump and Lai holding talks likely would anger China, which typically responds strongly to visits to Taiwan by US politicians.
Kuo, the Taiwan presidential spokesperson, said on Friday there was no more information about a potential conversation between Lai and Trump.
Go to accessibility shortcuts Share CommentsRead more
Trump sets tone on Taiwan after Xi summit, signals talks
Taiwan’s president defends US arms purchases that Trump called 'bargaining chip'
Taiwan opposition leader makes rare visit to China in 'journey for peace'
Схожі новини
Trump to miss son's wedding amid Iran talks, White House commitments
Dream wicket for me: Sakib Hussain relishing Virat Kohli's dismissal
Indian-origin man sentenced in UK to nearly 10 years over £8 million drugs plot