Middle East war live: Trump says willing to wait ‘a few days’ for right answer on Iran peace deal
Issued on: 21/05/2026 - 05:28Modified: 21/05/2026 - 07:27
Share By: FRANCE 24
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said the United States was ready to proceed with further attacks on Tehran if Iran did not agree to a peace deal, but suggested Washington could wait a few days to "get the right answers". Follow our liveblog for the latest developments.
21/05/2026 - 07:25
The hardline Iranian general believed to be playing a major role in negotiations
As negotiations with the US hang in the balance, a hardline Iranian general is believed to have seized a place near the center of power in Tehan.
Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, who heads Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard, has become a major player in formulating Iran’s tough stance in negotiating a possible end to the war with the US and Israel, experts say. He is believed to be part of a small clique in direct contact with Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khameini, who remains in hiding after being reportedly wounded in the February 28 Israeli strikes that killed his father, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Elevated to Guard commander this year after his predecessor was killed early in the war, Vahidi leads the most powerful force in Iran, with its arsenal of ballistic missiles and its fleet of small boats threatening Persian Gulf shipping.
“Vahidi and members of his inner circle have likely consolidated control over not only Iran’s military response in the conflict but also Iran’s negotiations policy,” the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War said in a recent post.

File photo of Ahmad Vahidi taken in Tehran, Iran, March 4, 2024. (Vahid Salemi, AP)
21/05/2026 - 07:14Iran executes two people under security charges, news agency says
Iran executed two people for what it said were charges of creating a group to disrupt the country's security and having membership in a "terrorist" organisation, the country's Tasnim news agency reported on Thursday.
Tasnim identified the two as Ramin Zaleh and Karim Maroufpour.
South Korea says nationals held by Israel released after Gaza aid vessel seizure
South Korea's presidential Blue House has said me of its nationals who had been in held in Israeli custody have been released.
Seoul, which had earlier expressed strong regret over Israel's seizure of an aid vessel bound for Gaza and the arrest of its nationals, welcomed their release, a presidential spokesperson said.
EU's Costa 'appalled' by Israeli minister's treatment of flotilla members
European Council President Antonio Costa said he was "appalled" by the treatment of aid flotilla members attempting to enter Gaza by Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir.
"Appalled by the treatment of flotilla members by Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir. This behaviour is completely unacceptable. We call for their immediate release," Costa said in a statement on social media website X.
Costa was referring to a video clip posted by Ben-Gvir on Wednesday that showed Israeli police forced activists from the aid flotilla to kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs as the Israeli minister heckled them.
21/05/2026 - 06:43Australia condemns Israel's 'degrading' treatment of flotilla activists
Australia's foreign minister has condemned Israel's "degrading" treatment of detained activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla, after footage showed protesters bound and on their knees.
"The images we have seen posted by Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir – who Australia has sanctioned – are shocking and unacceptable," Foreign Minister Penny Wong said in a statement.
"We condemn his actions and the degrading actions of Israeli authorities towards those detained."
21/05/2026 - 05:33Asian stocks surge on Iran hopes
Shares surged in Tokyo, Seoul and other Asian markets Thursday, fuelled by hopes of a Middle East peace accord.
Japan's Nikkei index jumped more than 3.5 percent after Iran said it was examining a new US proposal to end the Middle East war.
President Donald Trump described on Wednesday the talks as being on the "borderline" between a deal and renewed attacks.
Cautious hopes rippled quickly through financial markets. Oil fell more than five percent Wednesday, while US stocks rose.
Iran has 'received US views and are reviewing them', foreign ministry says
The Iranian state-run agency Nour News quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying "We have received US views and are reviewing them".
Pakistan continued to mediate exchanges of messages between Tehran and Washington, adding that several rounds of communication had taken place based on Iran’s original 14-point framework, he added.
21/05/2026 - 02:33Iran says 26 vessels have transited the Strait of Hormuz in the past 24 hours
Iran's proposal to US calls for sanctions lifting and funds release, deputy foreign minister says
Iran warns of war ‘beyond the region’ if US resumes attacks
Yesterday's key developments:
- Iran said on Wednesday it was examining a new US proposal to end the Middle East war, as President Donald Trump described the talks as being on the "borderline" between a deal and renewed strikes.
- The US military said Wednesday that it boarded an Iranian-flagged commercial oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman that was suspected of trying to violate the American blockade.
- The US ambassador to Israel sharply criticised far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir on Wednesday, after he posted a video showing detained activists from a Gaza-bound flotilla kneeling with their hands tied and foreheads on the ground.
(FRANCE 24 with Reuters, AP and AFP)
Keywords for this article