Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack
Police allege man took camera equipment from 61 year-old shooting victim then pawned it
-
Get our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcast
New South Wales police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equipment from one of the victims of the Bondi beach terror attack in the aftermath of the shooting.
In a statement, police allege that the man had been at the Hanukah event before the shooting on 14 December, in which 15 people were killed.
During their investigation into the attack, detectives “identified that one of the victims – a 61-year-old retired police officer and photographer – had his camera equipment stolen in the aftermath of the attack”.
Peter Meagher, 61, a member of the NSW police for 35 years, was one of the victims of the Bondi shooting. In a statement released by police last year, Meagher’s family said he was “struck down in retirement while pursuing his passion for taking photos”.
On Wednesday morning police executed a search warrant in Sydney’s north-western suburbs.
They said they located and seized a camera, handcuffs and electronic devices, and found a small amount of white crystal powder and further electronics in a car.
A 35-year-old man was arrested and taken to Riverstone police station, where he was charged with larceny and disposing of stolen property.
“Police will allege the man was a photographer at the Hanukah event who stole the deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment before pawning it days later,” the statement said.
He was granted strict conditional bail to appear before Blacktown local court on Monday 22 June.
Explore more on these topicsShareReuse this contentСхожі новини
Trump says willing to wait for a few days to get ’right answer’ on Iran peace deal
AMD says its $4K Ryzen AI Halo workstation practically pays for itself
Intuit axes 3,000 – without blaming AI