Iran heads to World Cup training camp in Turkey with no US visas issued
Iran’s national football team is flying to Turkey amid fears over visa approvals from the United States, with limited preparation and no top-tier friendly matches scheduled.
Iran's football squad has departed for a training camp in Turkey without US visas for players and members of the coaching staff, as the foreign ministry accused Washington of making up "self-made excuses" to block their entry ahead of the World Cup.
Spokesman Esmail Baghaei said Washington's refusal to issue visas to some national team members was "not acceptable" and described it as "a violation".
He added that Iranian football officials had met senior FIFA executives in Turkey and received assurances that FIFA would do all it could to uphold its principles.
Federation chief Mehdi Taj said on Thursday that not a single visa had been issued for any member of the squad or staff. "We have not received any account from the other side regarding who has been granted visas. No visas have been issued yet," he told state-run IRNA news agency.
Football association official Mohammad Nabi said Iran would play two friendly matches on the trip, one against The Gambia in Antalya on 29 May and a second opponent yet to be confirmed.
A match against a Turkish club side and a further fixture against Puerto Rico in Arizona's Tucson are also scheduled — if visas are issued.
Unprepared, without a top striker
Iran is heading into the tournament severely underprepared. Most of the team's planned fixtures have been cancelled since the war began in February. The Italian assistant coach unilaterally terminated his contract.
The squad's last training match, held at Azadi Stadium in Tehran last week, was an internal scrimmage with players divided into two sides.
Head coach Amir Ghalenoei has named a 30-man preliminary squad, with the most notable absence Sardar Azmoun — one of the country's best-known strikers and a veteran of two previous World Cups.
Azmoun was dropped following his public support for protesters during the January unrest, his criticism of the government's internet shutdowns, and political statements he made during the war.
IRGC-affiliated Fars News Agency argued he should be excluded. Media figures close to the government said he would need to apologise before being considered for selection. He has refused.
RelatedFars News separately reported that his property has been seized on the orders of a provincial prosecutor.
IRGC problems
Iran is preparing for its fourth consecutive World Cup appearance. All three of its group-stage matches are scheduled to be played in the US.
The IRGC are designated a terrorist organisation in the US and Canada — the World Cup's two main co-hosts alongside Mexico.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said individuals linked to the IRGC would not be permitted to enter the country. Two weeks ago, Iranian football federation chairman Mehdi Taj was turned back at Toronto airport when he attempted to attend the FIFA Congress in Vancouver.
RelatedThe squad's send-off ceremony in Tehran's Revolution Square last week was attended largely by government supporters.
Chants of "Death to America" were audible throughout, and Hezbollah flags were visible in the crowd. Several national team players and staff have appeared at state and religious events in recent weeks to support government policies.
Critics say public enthusiasm for the national team has fallen sharply following the January protests, the internet blackout, and the squad's political alignment with official state positions.
Go to accessibility shortcuts Share CommentsRead more
Iranian football chiefs turned away at Canada border over IRGC link
Iran heads to World Cup training camp in Turkey with no US visas issued
Схожі новини
Texas kid's remains found 4 years after he mysteriously disappeared; Mother, stepfather fled to India with six other children
This Indian startup is building underwater habitat to train astronauts