UK | EN |
LIVE
Світ 🇬🇧 Велика Британія

Gaza flotilla activists accuse Israel of ‘sexual assault, violence and rape’ while they were in detention

The Independent — World Maira Butt 2 переглядів 5 хв читання

Activists who were detained when a humanitarian aid flotilla to Gaza was seized by Israel have accused the Israeli military of carrying out sexual assault, violence and rape against them while they were in detention.

Israeli forces arrested 430 people on board 50 ships in international waters on Tuesday, as the group of volunteers attempted to deliver aid supplies to the Gaza Strip.

Israel’s handling of the flotilla attracted international criticism after far-right security minister Itamar Ben-Gvirmocked detainees bound with zip-ties in a video posted to his X account.

Now that the activists have been released, they have made allegations of serious abuse during their capture, which Israel has strongly denied.

The video of an Israeli minister mocking flotilla detainees has sparked worldwide condemnationopen image in gallery
The video of an Israeli minister mocking flotilla detainees has sparked worldwide condemnation (X/Itamar Ben-Gvir)

Catriona Graham, a 37-year-old Irish activist and one of the main coordinators of the mission, told The Independent the group had received multiple reports of abuse.

“We have had at least 15 reports so far of sexual assaults, and more than 30 reports of broken bones,” she said, although the group are awaiting final numbers as activists are still separated from each other. Ms Graham said at least one person was still having surgery to treat his injuries.

Luca Poggi, an Italian economist who was among those detained on board the flotilla, said on his arrival in Rome: “We were stripped, thrown to the ground, kicked. Many of us were tasered, some were sexually assaulted, and some were denied access to a lawyer.”

French national Adrien Jouan shows injuries to his backopen image in gallery
French national Adrien Jouan shows injuries to his back (Reuters)

Sabrina Charik, who helped organise the return of 37 French citizens from the flotilla, said five French participants had been hospitalised in Turkey, some with broken ribs or fractured vertebrae. Some had made detailed accusations of sexual violence, including rape, she said.

In an Instagram post published by an activist group, French national Adrien Jouen showed bruises across his back and on his forearms.

In response, Israel denied claims of mistreatment. “The allegations raised are false and entirely without factual basis,” an Israeli prison service spokesperson said in a statement. “All prisoners and detainees are held in accordance with the law, with full regard for their basic rights and under the supervision of professional and trained prison staff.

“Medical care is provided according to professional medical judgement and in accordance with Ministry of Health guidelines.”

A number of activists say they suffered injuries and some as said to have required medical treatmentopen image in gallery
A number of activists say they suffered injuries and some as said to have required medical treatment (Getty)

Hillel Newman, Israel’s ambassador to Australia, also denied that flotilla participants had been treated badly, and rejected claims of sexual abuse and violence carried out against eleven Australians.

“Out of the 400-plus people that were on the flotilla, no one was harmed,” he told the ABC on Thursday, claiming that the activists had been handled with “great sensitivity”.

The new allegations of abuse will add to pressure on Israeli authorities to explain the treatment of the detainees, whose plight was initially highlighted by the Ben-Gvir footage.

Ms Graham was seen at the start of the video shouting “Free Palestine” as the minister taunted prisoners at a processing centre earlier this week.

Israel has denied that the activists were mistreatedopen image in gallery
Israel has denied that the activists were mistreated (AFP/Getty)

“They had a line of commandos between about 10 of us and them, and a ring ... of military around him,” she told The Independent.

“There was just no way to let him walk by and have us be in silence while he’s gloating. I know that there is a video of me shouting ‘Free Palestine’ at Ben-Gvir, and there have been responses to that and condemnation of Ben-Gvir as an individual, even within the Israeli government.

“But I think it’s really important that they do not get to scapegoat him. He has been doing far, far worse to Palestinian prisoners for years.”

After the interaction, Ms Graham said she was dragged along the ground into isolation, and forced to lie on her face while she was zip-tied as eight men stood above her discussing what should be done to her. She said she has since been treated for bruising and swelling.

Ms Graham said she had noticed a marked escalation in violence since her last flotilla trip in 2025, and claimed that once they had been intercepted, the group was told: “You have words, we have weapons.”

A group of Italian activists arrive at Fiumicino airport after their releaseopen image in gallery
A group of Italian activists arrive at Fiumicino airport after their release (Reuters)

“They were clear in their threats of violence with us and threats to use weapons,” she said. “We were very, very concerned that people were going to be killed.”

Ms Graham said she saw a fellow activist shot with a rubber bullet, another punched, and others being dragged and shoved repeatedly.

The group is now planning a legal case to sue Israel for its alleged treatment of the activists, and have accused the country of perpetrating war crimes and violations of international law in its treatment of both themselves and the Palestinians.

“What they are doing to the Palestinians is far worse,” said Ms Graham. “They’re left in detention and in isolation, sometimes in dark underground cells, and have no support or warm physical contact, all while knowing that the lives of their family and friends have been threatened.”

The on-camera treatment of the detainees has been condemned by the international community, including British home secretary Yvette Cooper, and even by Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu himself.

“The way that Minister Ben-Gvir dealt with the flotilla activists is not in line with Israel’s values and norms,” Mr Netanyahu said earlier this week, after the video clip was met with widespread backlash. “I have instructed the relevant authorities to deport the provocateurs as soon as possible.”

Rape Crisis offers support for those affected by rape and sexual abuse. You can call them on 0808 802 9999 in England and Wales, 0808 801 0302 in Scotland, and 0800 0246 991 in Northern Ireland, or visit their website at www.rapecrisis.org.uk. If you are in the US, you can call Rainn on 800-656-HOPE (4673)

Join our commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments
Поділитися

Схожі новини