Cuba buys more than 300 drones from Russia and Iran — report

Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones, according to classified intelligence cited by Axios news outlet.
The report published on Sunday alleges that Cuba had discussed plans to use military drones to attack the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay as well as military vessels and possibly Key West, Florida.
The Trump administration is concerned because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana, Axios cited a senior US official as saying.
"When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it's concerning," the unnamed official was quoted as saying. "It's a growing threat."
Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and is seeking to buy more, US officials told Axios.
Cuba reacts to Axios report
Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accused the United States of fabricating a "fraudulent case" to justify economic sanctions and potential military intervention.
"With no legitimate excuse whatsoever, the US government is, day after day, building a fraudulent case to justify a ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and an eventual military aggression," Rodriguez wrote on X on Sunday.
"Cuba neither threatens nor desires war."
Rodriguez did not explicitly mention the drone allegations in his statement.
US ramps up pressure on Cuba
The Axios report comes as the US mounts pressure on Cuba.
Late last week, US media and news agencies reported that the US was taking steps to indict Raul Castro, Cuba's former president and the brother of late long-term leader Fidel Castro.
CIA director John Radcliffe also visited the island nation last Thursday.
US broadcaster CBS News cited an unnamed CIA official as saying that Radcliffe had warned Cuba against being a "safe haven for adversaries in the Western Hemisphere."
The Trump administration has also effectively cut off oil shipments to Cuba by threatening tariffs on any country that exports oil to the Caribbean nation.
This has led to massive power failures across the island.
Earlier in May, US President Donald Trump said theUnited States would be "taking over" Cuba "almost immediately."
Cuba's grid falters again, triggering blackouts and unrest
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
Edited by: Srinivas Mazumdaru
Advertisement